Location: Kampala, Uganda
Timeline: 12-24 months
Who We Are: Rana Labs is an international media agency with offices in Washington DC, Guatemala City and ongoing projects in Uganda and other countries around the world. We provide communications support to major foundations, nonprofit organizations, UNICEF, USAID and many other clients. Our team takes pride in production work for broadcast television and radio, and we also have a unique training program for development projects in a variety of contexts.
The position: As Communications Specialist, you will work on a portfolio of projects based in Kampala and in the region with potential for domestic and international travel. Your role will be to support ongoing projects working in a variety of contexts, such as supporting training, reporting, social media content development, video production, podcast and radio content development, and more. You will help to manage a portfolio of clients in the development and nonprofit space and will ensure that the team in Washington is well-informed on events happening in Uganda and elsewhere in the region. You will build effective communications products, guide the development of compelling content, generate a strong relationship with our Africa-based clients, and ensure successful delivery of project milestones.
- Help to shape the success of client communications goals, which involves the development and implementation of integrated communications strategies, plans and campaigns to achieve short and longer term objectives and impact.
- Strengthen and support the relationships with clients for ongoing projects, including attending team meetings, helping with report writing and assisting with deliverables.
- Oversee and take a lead role in the writing and editing of a variety of communications materials, both internal and external, including regular reporting, social media posts, blog posts, fact sheets, statements, talking points, video storyboards and more.
- Help to craft compelling materials, presentations, and workshop-related content; and driving visibility to our clients’ work and our own.
- Work closely with clients to develop effective Information and Communications Technology (ICT) narratives for targeted audiences.
- Project manage communications deliverables and directly support multiple clients.
- Managing a team of ICT contractors; recruiting and hiring additional staff as needed.
- Perform other duties as needed to help meet Rana Labs’ priorities and goals, including supporting communications work around public interest campaigns, playing a key role in business development, actively identifying potential new clients, and participation in prospective and new client meetings and ongoing conversations, and writing/presenting proposals.
Who you are:
- You have a minimum of five years of professional work experience, including a background in communications, public affairs, and/or public relations, including some experience in an agency setting.
- You have experience in ICT and are interested in continuing to deepen your expertise.
- You are interested in helping to organize and lead workshops in ICT for participants from a wide range of backgrounds.
- You are a clear, concise and experienced writer. Photography, video, design and other communications tools are a plus.
- Experience in nonprofit and development sectors is a huge plus, but not required – private sector experience is also of interest.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills, with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with people at varying levels of expertise on impactful issues and complex technologies, especially with clients.
- You have a commitment to and experience working with people from a variety of backgrounds, work well with individuals with different working styles and help to create a sense of trust in our work with our clients.
- You have flexibility, can take initiative, and a willingness to learn as issues arise.
- You have strong project management and organizational skills.
- Software experience: Microsoft Office, Adobe creative suite optional (Photoshop, Premiere, InDesign, etc.)
Compensation will be provided based on experience. Candidates who meet the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
To Apply: Submit your CV and a one-page Cover Letter to [email protected]. Please note: incomplete applications will not be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.